Saturday, November 28, 2009

Poll Question Results - Motives

Is it better to evangelize with bad motives but Christ is preached, or wait until you have good motives to share the gospel?

Out of the 8 votes (mine included):

7 were for - Bad Motives but Christ is preached
1 was for - Wait until you have good motives, then share Christ.

This is why I voted for "Bad Motives":
"Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice." Phil.1:15-18

God's word doesn't return void, and even if someone shares the gospel with bad motives it doesn't negate the power of the gospel. What I do know is that no one is saved apart from the gospel, so don't wait to long to have the right motives... you may be waiting a LONG time. I'm not sure my motives will ever be fully right and honestly I'm not sure I could trust my own estimation of myself. I would rather obey the great commission now and God will work it all out at the Bema Seat.

3 comments:

  1. I second that! i waited 12 years! im still not pure enough in my own mind and power. Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic. Spurgeon said of soul winning: "We must not excuse ourselves, but force ourselves to the irksome task till it becomes easy". I think Bunyan said his best prayers on his best day are filled with enough sin and pride to damn the whole world. I'd say if we think our motives are good and we've 'arrived'...we've got alot to learn.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete