Saturday, January 30, 2010

Q & A - Catholicism


For His Glory asks:
When sharing with someone who is Catholic, do you think it is best to just give the straight Gospel or explain the differences of what they are being falsely taught?

Dave's answer:
The temptation in talking with a Catholic is to point out all the error in the "system". Lets bottom line it, Catholicism is and idolatrous, works salvation religion. I've found I have more progress in advancing the gospel not by immediately attacking the "system". When you attack the idol the walls will go up and it becomes combative. Many Catholics are raised in it, so you might as well be "dissin" their mother.

The gospel is "the power of God unto salvation", so whenever I'm speaking with a Catholic or anyone really, I try to get to the gospel as quickly as I can. Usually I ask them "If I had a knife in my back and three minutes to live, what would you say to me?" Then let them answer, usually they say something like, "Just ask for forgiveness." Which is not the gospel. When I present the gospel I try to stress WHAT CHRIST HAS DONE and HIS FINISHED WORK on the cross. Also when you talk about grace, you have to define it. Letting them know its the unmerited favor of God, NOT the enabling from God to have you live a life that will THEN merit your salvation. Salvation FOR good works, NOT salvation BY good works. Scripture is clear it is by grace are you saved through faith. Here are are some great verses on grace: Galatians 2:16, Ephesians 2:8&9, Titus 3:7, Romans 3:24, Romans 5:20. Maybe read some of these with them and ask them "are any works in these verses that save you?"

If the holy Spirit is working on the person they will hear the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment